Wednesday 17 February 2010

Kingsley's Rehab Week 14

Kingsley enjoys the mud a little bit too much and comes back caked in it most of the time. The odd problem with stopping disappeared as soon as it started. Kingsley's walk is getting really good and we've done 31 minutes today. As the voluntary stopping is gone we are back to halt transitions and they are difficult to put it mildly. He resists quite strongly against being stationary and always leaves the right hind leg behind. We managed to correct a few halts today and stand square a couple of times. It's getting better but it's an extremely slow process.

On the 28th of February Kingsley will be moving to a new yard. I will post some photos once we've moved. It's a lovely place that uses the same physiotherapist as we do for him right now so we will be able to keep the continuity of treatment.

Here's week 14 plan:

Mon 15th: turn out
Tue 16th: turn out
Wed 17th: 31 min, halt transitions
Thu 18th: 32min, halt transitions, trot transitions (2-3 on each rein)
Fr 19th: turn out
Sat 20th: 33 min, halt transitions, trot transitions
Sun 21st: turn out

Due to various reasons we had to change the date of next physio re-assessment and it is now set for the 15th of March.
I will try to take a video of him walking under the saddle soon.
Share:

6 comments

Sharon said...

Hi Wiola, so pleased that Kingsley is still improving. That is good news. I am riding Flin again...finally and so far walk is good, although his crookedness can be felt so riding him straight is the challenge at the moment. Got physio due end of Feb and I am going to try craniosacral treatment just to see if it helps with a lady mentioned on HHO. Willing to try anything!! Look forward to an update of your move to the new yard and your physio treatments there. Hope there is less mud for Kingsley at the new yard!!! Sharon :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Wiola, Debi here. Great going with the little man, and good luck in the new yard. We are still under deep deep snow, the schools have between 3 and 4 feet of the nasty stuff, and I start classes here April 13..yicks! On another note..is anyone else having trouble getting at your site, my computer takes a dogs age to upload all of it, no other place, just the one place I REALLY like to visit ;(

Unknown said...

Sharon - great to hear from you again! Whenever I say there is improvement in Kingsley's way of going it's always very much in the context of his problems. It's not by any means straight & forwards as with a, let's say, youngster learning the basics :(
The new yard is a fab set up and I hope he will like it :) There is a lot of off-road hacking and gallops nearby so plenty of opportunities to exercise out of arena should he never make it to more than a hack.
Tell me more about this craniosacral treatment? Any good links?
Good luck with Flin x

Debi - I'm so sorry you have problems getting on the site :( I can only guess it's this template I use now, it does load longer on my laptop too. I will change it soon, just need a day off to see to it properly.
As to the weather - I really don't know how you're coping with all that snow for that long! I'm so fed up with cold by now, add snow and I might seriously think about relocation to some hot climates!
Hope you have a gentle, non-floody melt down before April :) x

Anonymous said...

Wiola...Debi again. No problems, just don't want you to lose clients. Time..ah yes that nasty insufficient creature! Will have a site of my own soon, hopefully before March. You can visit it at www.wrschool.ca It is just a regular website, not a blog, but if you have any interest in snooping around my little yard from over there?

Unknown said...

Ah thank you :)
I will snoop! For now it just shows the hosting page?
Looking forward to having a good look :)

Anonymous said...

Wiola...for now it shows nothing!
;( Want the whole thing up at one fell swoop. Debi

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig