Monday 14 September 2009

Day (Not) to Remember

I rode Kingsley today and he wasn't right. At first it felt like some discomfort behind. I asked a friend to hop on him so I could see what was happening from the ground and there was definitely something wrong.
We took him onto the hard surface where he showed lameness on both front feet on both reins...
I phoned the vet practice to speak to the vet who did the 5 stage vetting prior the purchase but couldn't get hold of him and he still hasn't called me back.
Different vet is coming to have a look tomorrow. No idea what to think about it really. He looks uncomfortable through the shoulders/front feet but I haven't done any hard work on hard surface to justify concussion of any sort. He was worked 30 minutes 3 times on the lunge since I got him plus did some canter work and 20 minutes schooling session on a very good rubber track surface. Again nothing to really explain the problem. As far as I know he didn't have any mad galloping experiences while in the field and was off staying in yesterday due to a show at the yard and no turn out.
I am going to reserve the speculations until the vet gives his opinion tomorrow.

Horses really are a truly up and DOWN experience. And if you ever forget that they make sure you remember that asap.

To top it up I spoke to my brother today and Poker passed away. He had a heart attack at night.

Got a massive headache now and wish life was a bit smoother more often. Amazingly I managed to convince Rick to come with me to the stables today - of all days!
Share:

5 comments

Daun said...

Wiola,
So sorry to hear about Kingsley and VERY sorry to hear about Poker. I know how much you loved him.

Best wishes from far away. Just remember, things do go UP.

Unknown said...

Thank you Daun, it's really gutting especially as we really where so careful and made sure he is eased into work slowly. Not to mention a big fee paid for 5 stage vetting.
Would love some UP horse time really.
I am still in a bit of a shock with news on Poker. I knew it will happen soon but really hoped I will manage to see him again before he goes:( not to be.
P.S. Glad you are still around in the blogging world. Hope Brego is doing well.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about Kingsley and hope he's better soon - any digital pulses? Did he eat anything unusual?

So very sorry about Poker.

Hope things improve for you.

Anonymous said...

Oh Wiola...how horrid!! Does laminitis spring to your mind as well? If he were in my yard I would treat it as if till confirmed otherwise as it would do no harm at least. Sorry about Poker, so hard to lose a family member. Must be the time for weird lameness though, one of my lease ponies came up offish yesterday, and today has a swollen lower foreleg, suspensories good, no bounding pulse...twist? Ah well. Good luck with K. he looks a darling. Canada

Unknown said...

Hello and thank you for your support. Much appreciated.
It's very very unlikely that is laminitis as at this time of year there is barely any grass here now and his paddock is almost bare.
Vet came today. He is foot sore and shows on/off lameness on both front feet and one hind leg. More investigations tomorrow.

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig