Monday 21 July 2008

Coaching Portfolio for those who pass PTT exam

Thanks to cooperation between UKCC (United Kingdom Coaching Certificate) and BEF (British Equestrian Federation) the Equestrian qualifications are having a face lift. So far, there is only generic Level 2 in use.
As I passed my PTT exam (Preliminary Teacher Test exam) before January 2007, in order to progress to BHSAI (Assistant Instructor), I had to log 500 hours of teaching practice into a special Log Book. This is now replaced by so called Coaching Portfolio. I had a proper look through it today. The Coaching Theory (Principles) module I did at Hartpury College last year had most of that content included.
What do you think? Is it going to make our sport a little more respected as far as coaching practises are concerned? I hope so. We are definitely behind most of the sports with the way the teaching of the skills is delivered. We are much less formal and structured and most of the instructions are based on the outcome not on the way of getting there.
I hope that further levels will be ready soon.
Share:

1 comment

Anonymous said...

I find the exams system in the UK(whether for a rider or instructor) very confusing.
I've been thinking about taking some exams but I looked on the BHS website and it didn't really enlighten me very much.
Hopefully they're sending me some information in the post that will clear things up.
I'm still unclear if exams will be of any use as I'm not planning on taking up horse riding as a career.

© Riding Instructor's Diary | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig